Sunday, September 7, 2008

So this weekend has been alright. Friday tried to go see Zizek, but the bookstore where he was speaking was so packed and his Slovenian accent was so thick, I couldn’t hear much other than the odd ‘capitalism’ or ‘liberalism,’ so instead I drank Red Stripe on the roof with my flatmates and called it a night. Saturday had to attend/help at this memorial service thing which though I grumbled about having to get out of bed, was really touching, and lunched with new colleague. That afternoon I meant to do so much, but two days before I managed to develop the largest most inconvenient blister I’ve ever had in my life, and so after dragging myself around Zara clubfoot, it hurt too much and so I gave up. I wanted to do so much that night, but my body refused to stay awake much past nine. I think the fact that this isn’t vacation and I can’t go home now is starting to get beneath my skin and my body is not happy about it. Saturday night I turned down several social opportunities and felt like a failure about it. Much as one tries, can’t make a housecat go out. Today I tried harder. Went to a monster Episcopal cathedral which was beautiful and all, but I think too much pomp and circumstance for little me. Went with a friend of a friend to Chinatown where I ate crab for the first time. It looked terrifying but didn’t taste too fishy. Also went to this chocolate festival thing where there was a swing band playing, which of course was nice. I know that sounds like a lot of stuff, it still doesn’t feel like enough. I feel like I could have tried harder. Though I have things to do and even some people to do them with, I wouldn’t yet say that I have really found a friend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know a website that can be your friend:
http://www.mightyfoods.com/index.html

I like it!

Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Friends are overrated. Family is where it is at.....

I'm going home now & will give Maxwell a big, wet kiss from Aunt Jill.

I was just in Brooklyn & it reminded me of you.

T (dot)